Humboldt Park Stable and Receptory
Originally completed in 1895 by Chicago architects Frommann and Jebsen, the Humboldt Park Stable and Receptory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Chicago Landmark. The building’s design highlights the Germanic character of the neighborhood in the 1890s and is a fanciful creation of various roofs, finials, brick, and half-timbering. A previous restoration effort was abruptly halted by a fire that destroyed over 3/4 of the roof and other parts of the structure.
In 1998, Harboe Architects personnel, then working for McClier, redefined the scope of the original restoration in order to incorporate the fire damaged areas. Funding from an ISTEA grant allowed the Chicago Park District to fully restore the damaged building. Major elements of the project included extensive masonry restoration, reconstruction of half timbered gable sections, a new clay tile roof, extensive exterior wood restoration, and new ornamental iron work and copper finials.
The project was recognized with the 1998 Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation Award for Restoration and Rehabilitation.