- S. R. Crown Hall at the Illinois Institute of Technology
- Fully restored south facade and porch
- An interior view of Crown Hall
- Historic view of exterior (Courtesy of Chicago History Museum)
- Historic view of interior (Courtesy of Chicago History Museum)
- Exterior facade before restoration
- Exterior facade after restoration
IIT - S. R. Crown Hall
Completed in 1956, S.R. Crown Hall is considered one of Mies van der Rohe’s greatest masterpieces. Its significance by its being listed both a National Historic Landmark and a City of Chicago Landmark prior to its turning fifty years old.
The two story steel and glass building has an open column free floor plan of 120 feet by 220 feet making the building a total of approximately 52,000 square feet. It exemplified Mies’s desire to create “universal space” and it proportions and detailing are legendary. It was created to house Mies’ school of architecture for the Illinois Institute of Technology and it continues in the function to this day. In 1975, the building underwent a major renovation which replaced all the original glass and it was repainted. The next thirty years saw little real change, and virtually no maintenance. The result was an extensive deterioration to the glazing system and a need for a major renovation.
After preparing a Historic Structure Report, Harboe Architects personnel, who were then working for McClier, served as preservation architects for the award winning restoration of the glass and steel facades lead by Krueck and Sexton Architects. Harboe Architects served as preservation architects for Fujikawa, Johnson & Gobel Architects on the restoration of the south porch. The restoration was completed in the late summer of 2005.