Completed in 1956, S.R. Crown Hall is considered one of Mies van der Rohe’s greatest masterpieces. Its significance has been recognized by the building being listed as both a National Historic Landmark and a City of Chicago Landmark prior to its turning fifty years old. The two story steel and glass building has an open column free floor plan of 120 feet by 220 feet making the building a total of approximately 52,000 square feet. It exemplified Mies’ desire to create “universal space” and its proportions and detailing are legendary. Crown Hall was created to house Mies’ School of Architecture for the Illinois Institute of Technology and it continues in the function to this day. In 1975, the building underwent a major renovation which replaced all the original glass and it was repainted. The next thirty years saw little real change, and virtually no maintenance. The result was an extensive deterioration to the glazing system and a need for a major renovation.
|Title||S. R. Crown Hall|
|Work Completed||Historic Structure Report; Exterior Restoration|
|Client||Illinois Institute of Technology|
|Architect of Record||Krueck & Sexton|
After preparing a Historic Structure Report, Harboe Architects personnel, who were then working for McClier, served as preservation architects for the award winning restoration of the glass and steel facades lead by Krueck and Sexton Architects. Harboe Architects served as preservation architects for Fujikawa, Johnson & Gobel Architects on the restoration of the south porch. The restoration was completed in the late summer of 2005.