The Main Building, designed by Chicago architects Patton & Fisher, was completed in 1893. This significant City of Chicago Landmark building was designed in 1891 for the newly founded Armour Institute of Technology to house classrooms and offices. The building’s Romanesque Revival style exterior consists of rough-cut sandstone base, red brick and terra cotta upper levels, large arched windows, and multi-hipped roof.
As the need for classrooms in the Main Building decreased over time, numerous interior renovations and upgrades were completed to retrofit new offices. The roofline was also altered due to a fire that occurred in the southern hipped-roof in the 1950’s. Exterior masonry repairs and window replacement was completed in the 1980s; however a comprehensive building restoration and systems upgrade was never completed.
In 2006, Harboe Architects was commissioned to prepare a Master Plan to define the historical significance of the interior and exterior building elements and to prioritize the building’s needed repairs. The first phase of work is now completed and included ADA upgrades to toilet rooms, elevator renovation, and life safety improvements. Phase two is completed through construction documents and includes exterior masonry restoration, masonry and mortar analysis and plans for roof reconstruction. Construction will commence as funding becomes available. Future phases of work include roof and window replacement, interior lobby restoration, and stained glass restoration.
|Title||IIT Main Building|
|Work Completed||Restoration Master Plan; ADA Upgrades; Masonry & Roof Restoration|
|Date Completed||Master Plan: 2006; Restoration Phase 1: 2009; Phase 2: in progress|
|Client||Illinois Institute of Technology|